Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A-Z Challenge for June

O is for overt.

Lupus does not always have an overt symptom. It is not always something you can see. Here's are some facts you should know about lupus:


  • Lupus is not contagious, not even through sexual contact. You cannot "catch" lupus from someone or "give" lupus to someone.
  • Lupus is not like or related to cancer. Cancer is a condition of malignant, abnormal tissues that grow rapidly and spread into surrounding tissues. Lupus is an autoimmune disease, as described above.
  • Lupus is not like or related to HIV (Human Immune Deficiency Virus) or AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome). In HIV or AIDS the immune system is underactive; in lupus, the immune system is overactive.
  • Lupus can range from mild to life-threatening and should always be treated by a doctor. With good medical care, most people with lupus can lead a full life.
  • Our research estimates that at least 1.5 million Americans have lupus. The actual number may be higher; however, there have been no large-scale studies to show the actual number of people in the U.S. living with lupus.
  • More than 16,000 new cases of lupus are reported annually across the country.
  • It is believed that 5 million people throughout the world have a form of lupus.
  • Lupus strikes mostly women of childbearing age (15-44). However, men, children, and teenagers develop lupus, too. Most people will develop lupus between the ages of 15-44.
  • Women of color are two to three times more likely to develop lupus than Caucasians.
  • People of all races and ethnic groups can develop lupus.
This information was taken from the Lupus Society of America. (http://www.lupus.org/)
For those of you who know my age, I am outside the range it hits. Being an overachiever, I should have been tested and diagnosed at age 10, five years before it should hit. While most people it only takes six years to get a positive reading, I am one of the rare ones whose doctors quit looking when the first test was negative. Which it is why it has taken 51 years for me to get a diagnosis. This little gem has been attacking my interal organs for a long time. 

Today is a fatigue day. I have no motivation and am tired. I look fine. I don't feel bad, just no motivation. I have no overt signs or symptoms. Very sad, but true. Ah, hem.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...