Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for Critcism



Criticism is probably the hardest word to deal with. As a writer, I know I have to be thick skinned. Not everyone is going to like what I write. Some of my best friends look for things they can find wrong even if they like my books and stories.

Knowing that it is given in hopes you will use it and make your next piece better is good rationale. My books are like my children. I have worked with the newest one since 2010. I know my characters, the plot, the twists and turns. I put it through a writing workshop, to help make it better. I've been compared to Agatha Christi and   Patricia Cornwell. To Christi without the pomp and circumstance and to Cornwell without the blood and gore.
Those are high honors, however I find I sometimes forget to give my readers enough to make my writing superior. I'm getting better and I'm working with people who help me. None of which makes criticism any better to hear.

So, when I think of criticism, I think how can I make my next book better. What do I have to do to make my story worth buying? I've grown a thicker skin and no longer take it as a person assault on my work.  Hopefully you will be able to get there too.

TTFN

3 comments:

  1. this is part Im not good at dealing with.. I am defiantly not thick skinned..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, criticism is sometimes hard to swallow. Especially when you feel like people are just searching for something to say. I try to think of critiques from their perspective and it helps a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you, criticism can be so hard to take and I think that writers have to be so thick skinned. I wrote an essay for class which I had a small group of people criticise and was almost in tears by the time they were done with me!

    Great post :)

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...